Hello New Story Church Family,
Over the past year, God has led us into a season of radical change, a transformation of sorts. We have merged congregations, our attendance has unexpectedly jumped, and half of our elder board turned over. We have added new staff and we are in the process of adding more. We have recently christened our congregation with a new name; and, for the first time in New Story's 28-year history, we own a building. Not new, but new to us. And now, we are looking to renovate it and make it “like new.”
The effect is that we have this rare opportunity to do what very few congregations of our size and age get to do: We get a fresh start. A do-over. A chance to begin a “new normal.”
While some parts of what it means to become a church where life transformation is normal are still coming into focus, the need to update and fix our facilities is clear, painfully clear.
- Our bathrooms are uncomfortably small, oddly warm, and not ADA accessible.
- Our children’s ministry area needs to be improved to provide the kind of security we want for our children.
- Our HVAC system is the 1970 original and wavers between being temperamental and nonfunctional (as you have likely experienced for yourself).
- The offices are not a good fit for our current staff.
- Our stage is not ADA accessible.
Our vision is not about a building, but just as your family is shaped by your home, our church family is shaped by our church home. Currently, our building is not an ideal space for our family and potentially awkward when we invite in our unchurched friends and neighbors.
This Spring we would like to address these critical issues. On November 20, the members voted, overwhelmingly, to approve “Phase 1A” of the building project. This phase is practical. It’s about creating a space that is safe, accessible, and fully functional.